TechCrunch

August 12, 2015

my first pc build.Any advice or criticism?

 I got my old computer sometime in 2011 or so, back when I was in college. That's not that long ago, but the computer has been through a lot. Living in Komarock but going to college in Westlands meant that whenever the holidays came around, my computer would be precariously packed up in my luggage along with my consoles. I couldn't leave my PC behind. Not if I wanted to play stuff or do anything that was particularly intensive, anyway.


There's nothing quite like that on a console. If I want to play a PS3 game, I can, with general confidence, pop in a PS3 game into my PS3 game and it'll run as intended—provided there are no bugs, of course. Even now, with a new generation of consoles, I can still get most of the new hotness on my old system. Heck, over time, things start looking better on consoles as developers learn how to optimize stuff. And when any transitions to a new generation occur, I won't be able to take a new game and pop it into my old system only to have it barely run in a playable state.
This isn't a knock on PC gaming, mind—it's just that getting left behind is a different experience; you helplessly watch it happen. If you have a top of the line system, over time, you go from running everything smoothly to eventually acknowledging that you have to change up some parts or buy a new build altogether to keep playing. There is no "ten year life cycle," like you might sometimes find on consoles
Anyone is capable of putting together a computer; of that I'm certain. But damn, I can't describe to you the sheer terror I felt when I had all the different computer parts out of their box for the first time; each with their own little thick manual written in such a way that it almost seemed like normal, everyday humans weren't supposed to be reading it. I felt this way even though I had read up a bit on Lifehacker before starting. I knew what the different parts were. I knew where everything went, in a general matter of speaking. In a way, it was doing my homework which made the entire thing so difficult. It's hard not to freak about having to handle the brains of your computer when you might break it if you put it in the wrong way, if the little pins get bent. PC parts aren't cheap!
On my first try putting stuff together, everything felt like agony: I knew which parts were delicate, and anything involving those pieces seemed to require more force than I was comfortable exerting. When placing my processor on the motherboard, for example, I paid attention and made sure to align stuff in accordance to the packaging—but just the same, I kept doubting whether or not I put it in the right way. It didn't help that when I tried to lock it in, it took so much force I think I straight up imagined the sound of my processor crunching. Ack!
Let's not even talk about how anxious I was around touching the motherboard after reading about how you can mess stuff up with static electricity and how it's recommended that you wear something special to avoid it, or how you're not supposed to touch the metal parts of the motherboard. Yes, you can discharge yourself, but still: it's hard not to get neurotic about the entire affair.

It's a build taken entirely off PC-building guide Logical Increment's "excellent" tier. While I know I could have built something cheaper, there's something weirdly seductive about PC gaming, if you have the spare money. You can always build a monster, you can always spend just a little more to make your rig better. On consoles, there might be a couple of different versions of something—maybe there's the normal version, the slim version, and maybe there are a few different color options. But you can't just drop some extra cash to get the juiced up version of the newest Xbox.
PC gaming has a lot of benefits, but the act of putting together a computer for the first time feels like running the gauntlet. Of course people are going to boast about it after surviving it. Over the years, I've heard people say over and over that building a computer isn't hard. If you've never built a computer before, I don't mean to scare you.

Intel core i7-4790 clock speed @ 3.6ghz turbo boost 4ghz 8M/LGA1150,Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler. Processor Fan with Heatsink and Pipes and Aluminium Fins; Noise Level of 36 dB ThermalTake,Carbide Series 200, EVGA 500W PSU, Maximus VII ranger motherboard + Western Digital 2TB WD1003FZEX 7200RPM SATAIII Hard Drive, 2 Western Digital WD5003AZEX 500GB, HyperX Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Model HX324C11SRK2/16 Gigabyte radeon R9 270 Gaming graphics card with 2GB DDR5,DVD Writer








To contact the author of this post, write to mwiti.kevin@yahoo.com or find him on Facebook:www.facebook.com/kevin.kimz
Instagram: https://instagram.com/kevinkimz

 

No comments:

Post a Comment